Are There Any Potential Side Effects?
Some patients may experience temporary tooth and gum sensitivity to cold after treatment, but these symptoms will disappear within 1-3 days. Zoom whitening formulas include desensitising agents and Relief ACP to help minimise these symptoms as much as possible, and we can advise you about how to manage any further side effects as well as administer fluoride gel to help combat the temporary sensitivity if needed.
Zoom teeth whitening treatments will not affect any existing restorations such as fillings or crowns, and will not weaken, soften, damage or rub away your enamel.
What’s The Difference Between Your Professional In-Office Whitening Treatment And Over-The-Counter Solutions?
Over-the-counter teeth whitening solutions are made of generic formulas and ingredients, which will not work for everybody in the same way. The benefit of choosing a professionally-applied solution is that it is completely tailored to you, with the intensity and duration you choose to achieve the exact results you want. Using over-the-counter solutions also comes with some risks. Teeth whitening comes with potential side effects, and without the professional opinion and advice of an accredited dentist, you could react badly to the treatment. According to the Australian Dental Association (ADA), teeth whitening should always be performed by a dental professional to avoid a number of potential problems, including:
- Heightened tooth sensitivity
- Weakening or softening of the tooth enamel (hydrogen peroxide if not properly applied will leave irreversible damage)
- Damaged and inflamed gums
- Chemical burns
- Blisters on the mouth and gum tissue
- Uneven colouring
- Lack of results
How Long Will My Teeth Stay White After The Treatment?
Our professional whitening system is designed to remove stains and discolouration from your teeth and leave them up to 8 shades whiter in one short session. However over time, with the consumption of certain foods and drinks as well as natural ageing, your teeth may become discoloured again. You can help to combat this with correct maintenance whitening, which you can find more information about below.
Zoom at-home whitening products are also available to be used together with your in-office treatment. These products are made with ACP and can significantly reduce the effects of staining and fading over time. Talk to your MGA dentist about the best ways to maintain your whitening results.
Tips For Maintaining Your White Smile
Our teeth whitening Gold Coast & Brisbane treatments are clinically proven to give you immediate results, and a beautiful smile you’ll be proud to show off. The following tips will help you maintain your bright, white smile and enjoy the results for years to come:
- As much as possible, limit your consumption of foods and drinks that are known to cause staining and discolouration such as coffee, tea, red wine, soy sauce and curries. Or try to reduce the amount of time they come into contact with the surface of your teeth, by using cups with a spouted lid or a straw.
- Smoking causes heavy staining and discolouration. There are many health reasons to give up smoking, and by doing so your oral health will also see a huge improvement.
- See your dentist on a regular basis for a professional clean and check-up. Your MGA dentist will be able to remove any food or plaque that has accumulated on your teeth, as well as clean and polish them to reduce the stains that build up day to day for a whiter, brighter smile.