Looking after children's teeth is important for many reasons. Not only will it prevent future dental problems, but also it encourages children to learn the basics of dental hygiene so they can continue to look after their teeth properly as they grow older.
The most common dental problem in children is tooth decay, which is often caused by acidic or sugary snacks and drinks. The good news is that tooth decay can be prevented.
The team from MGA Dental have outlined some top tips for keeping your child's teeth healthy:
- Begin brushing your child's teeth as soon as they appear to avoid decay. Brushing teeth in the morning and before bedtime is a basic routine that every child should learn how to do.
- Younger children will need adult supervision to make sure they are brushing properly, and reaching every side of every tooth. Fluoride toothpaste is recommended to help prevent tooth decay, but check the levels of fluoride in the toothpaste to make sure it is age appropriate for the child.
- Use a toothbrush that is the right size for your child's mouth and has soft bristles, and go for a toothbrush that is designed to make brushing fun, such as a character brush or one that lights up for the recommended amount of brushing time.
- Check the labels on products and choose alternatives that have less sugar. Limit sugary snacks to mealtimes, as prolonged contact with teeth causes the most problems.
- Even healthy foods such as fruit have acid that can damage the enamel, so constant snacking or grazing is not recommended. Give children water or milk to drink between meals, and limit sugary drinks or fruit juices to mealtimes. A good diet with the right amount of vitamins and minerals will help children's teeth be more resistant to decay.
- Take children for regular check-ups with a dentist. It is recommended that you visit the dentist within six months of their milk teeth appearing. This will help them become familiar with the environment and give them confidence in the dentist. The dentist will check the health of the teeth and see they are developing as they should be. A dentist will also be able to spot any problems early and prevent them from becoming worse.
MGA Dental offer a friendly and comfortable environment for children and can provide orthodontics and braces for your child should they be required. We specialise in welcoming patients of all ages and have a caring dental team on site to assist should you have any worries about visiting the dentist.
A healthy mouth is a happy mouth, so for more information or advice about keeping children's teeth healthy, call the team at MGA Dental Gold Coast and Brisbane.
MGA Dental is available 7 days for emergency dental and afterhours appointments as well as general and cosmetic dentistry during office hours.
To find out more speak with the experts from MGA Dental Gold Coast and Brisbane phone Gold Coast (07) 5539 9748 or Brisbane 07 3273 3343.
Visit our website to book your appointment online www.mgadental.com.au or email [email protected].